Saturday, March 23, 2013

LN #6: Tell about proud moments as a grandmother; Part 13

Part 13, you ask???  Well, I had to figure out  how I was going to answer one question so many times, because every one of my grandbabies has given me a proud moment.... or two.  So, as I write about each grandchild, the "part" number will coincide with their number in the sequence of grandbabies I have!  Well, I think it makes sense!


My Baker and Me
Aunt Meg's Law School Graduation

So, who names a beautiful little girl like this "Baker," huh?  Me.  That's who!  It makes perfect sense.  You see, when Emily was pregnant with Abigail Hope, they didn't have any names picked out right away.  I had to have something to call her.  Well, the first ultrasound I saw of her earned her the name "Dot," but as she gained more substance, she needed a more substantial name.  Since her mom and dad couldn't give me a definite name, I decided that since she was my thirteenth grandchild, she was also MY Baker's Dozen!  Hence, MY Baker!  I've decided that while she's young though, I will call her Abigail or Abby to her face.... I don't want to confuse her and have her thinking her grandma is so senile she doesn't even know her name!  But, in my heart, she'll always be Baker.


Baker & Mommy

Baker & Daddy

And, today (March 23, 2013) is my Baker's Happy 2nd Birthday!!!  The first and only grandchild to share my and her Great-Grandma Sloan's birthday month!!!  I wish I knew Baker better.  She was born in Kentucky and has lived there her whole young life.  Since I live on the other side of the continent, three time zones away, we haven't gotten to know one another very well.  In fact, sometimes when we Skype, I think she's scared of that crazy old lady on the computer screen, but Bart & Emily assure me that she sees my picture every day and remembers me in her prayers, so for now, that's enough.

So, how does a two-year-old make a grandmother proud?  Well, besides the fact that she's adorable (she has my ears, her daddy's eyes and her mommy's smile), and she's smart (she counted to ten for me on the phone today) and she loves the Fisher-Price Little People Disney Princess Castle I got her for Christmas and plays with it "all the time" (according to her mom & dad), and she's artistic (she made me Valentine & Birthday cards), she makes me the proudest because she brings out the best in her daddy, and that makes me proud of him.  This little girl has her daddy wrapped around her little finger... check it out:

Not sure, but there may have been
a few tears in that Daddy's eyes.

Sharing a snowfall experience!

He's always liked girls' kisses, but I think this
girl's kisses weave their way right into his heart.

No little girl has more loving and devoted
parents than Baker!

So, what do you think? Do you agree with me?  If my sons-in-law thought they had a challenge gaining approval from my boys to marry their sisters, wait 'til some poor young man wants to take Baker away from her dad!  I know he absolutely hates every minute he spends away from her and Emily, but he's going to do what he has to do to make sure he provides for his family and he makes their time together quality to compensate for the quantity.  Yep.  I'm the proudest of Baker 'cause she brings out the best in her daddy.

But, enough about him.  It's not HIS birthday!  So, for now I'll just sing:  
Happy, happy birthday, Baker dear!
Happy days will come to you all year!
If I had one wish, then it would be
A happy, happy birthday to YOU from ME!

I love you, Baker!!!!





3 comments:

  1. What a fun surprise! Thank you Mom! That was such a special treat. Abigail does have her Daddy wrapped around all 10 of her little fingers; and best of all she does bring out the best in him. I enjoy nothing more than watching them together. We can't wait for her to get more Grandma time soon. She loves you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abigail hope you had a happy birthday it is a little late but I hope you understand

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha get it Abigail HOPE you ........ Her middle name!

    ReplyDelete