Wednesday, September 11, 2013

EY #11: Tell about special experiences with your parents; part 1

Mr. & Mrs. Raymond Zielke
September 11, 1942

Just like all other Americans everywhere, I remember where I was September 11, 2001. Me, I was in a La Quinta hotel room in Provo, UT with my good friend Barb Hallermann, getting ready for a district meeting, watching "Good Morning America" when I watched the replay of the jet hitting the first of the twin towers in New York City. It was terrible and it was tragic. And then I heard that the Pentagon had been hit and that hit a little too close to home since Megan didn't live far from there. Fortunately all of my loved ones were safe and while I recognize the loss of others on that day, each September 11th, I prefer to turn my thoughts to a much happier day.

September 11, 1942 my parents were married. And because they were, thirty-six more people came to be! If that's not something to celebrate and be thankful for, I don't know what is!

So, what I can remember of the story, is that they met when they were young and working at Vendo Manufacturing, a company that made, believe it or not, vending machines. My aunt Grace apparently remembers my dad coming into her room the night he met my mom and telling her all about it, but I haven't gotten that story from Aunt Grace yet....

Mary Ellen (Hill) Zielke

I was told that my dad gave my mom the locket she's wearing in this picture for her 18th birthday. It's become an heirloom. I wore it for my wedding; each of my daughters wore it for theirs and I hope my granddaughters will all wear it for theirs. It's a gold, heart-shaped locket with pictures of my parents inside.

As I understand it, my father had been drafted and was supposed to report for duty the night of their wedding, but at the last minute, he received a deferral due to his farming status and he didn't have to leave to fight in World War II. It was important enough to the country to have the farmers producing food for the country, that those with farming status were given the deferrals for just that purpose.

25th Anniversary
1967

We had a wonderful celebration for them to celebrate their 25th Silver Wedding Anniversary. Aren't they so cute in this picture? Do you like that red dress? My mom HATED it, but we had gone shopping to get her a new dress for the occasion. My dad saw that dress and insisted that THAT was the one she get. He loved it on her. She should have been wearing her locket though...
The Zielke Family
Pat (pregnant with Todd), Bill, me, Dad, Mom, Al, Marcia & Danny

So, September 11th has great cause for happiness in our family, but today I had another realization for happiness; being a grandmother is wonderful! Okay. That's not the realization. I've known that for almost eleven years now.

I knew it was wonderful the first time I held Andi; the first time Cari cried because she was leaving me and those first nights when Ethan would go right to sleep for me... I love (and have saved) all the voicemails my grandchildren have left on my phone (prompted by their parents or aunts/uncles). I love all the little handmade gifts, cards and pictures I've received from each of them over the years. Many still hang on my walls and refrigerator!

But most of all what I realized today, is that I love it when I know they're doing something for me just because they're thinking of me and want to share something of their lives with me. I realized it today because I got an email from Ethan to tell me he's going to play a musical instrument. He hasn't decided yet if it will be a violin, a cello or a trombone. He emailed me a few months ago to tell me he got his first bee sting. 

Frequently, out of the blue, Andi will send me a text message; just a simple one, like "Good night, Grandma." But it means the world to me. Because I know she's thinking about me and she loves me.

Or Cari, who also sends me random text messages, like "My siblings are driving me nuts!" Or, she'll read my blog and make her own fun comments on them so I know she's taking the time to read what her crazy old Nana says!

My realization today is that the really great part about being a grandma is when the kids are all old enough to start to think about you on their own and even better yet, that they love you too!

HAPPY SEPTEMBER 11TH EVERYONE!

Grandma's Gang of 14 (pre-Baby Claire)
Sloan, Jonas, Peyton, Sarai, Gray, Cari, Andi, Krew, Dylan, Soni & Ethan
Abigail, Bennett & Mason
November, 2011




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful! I didn't realize that Grandma and Grandpa Zielke were married on Sept. 11th. I am honored that I got to wear the locket when I married Barton!

    You are one amazing Grandma. We are all so blessed to have you in our lives!

    ReplyDelete