Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Happy Founders' Day! Zeta is Forever!

Happy Founders' Day to all my Zeta Sisters Today!!!
 
It began with nine young women at Longwood College in Farmville, VA on October 15, 1898.
 
Our 9 Founders with their first pledges.
"Seek the Noblest," our motto, turquoise blue & steel gray our colors, Themis (goddess of Truth & Justice) our patron goddess, the white violet our flower, the carpenter's square our pledge pin and the 5-pointed crown our symbol are all things that have special memories attached.
 
 
While all that is important to me, today's blog is to remind a lot of good friends about the life, love and laughs we shared during our time together at Tau Chapter at Millikin University in Decatur, Illinois. What better way to remember those times than through pictures?!?!?
 
 It began with a pledge class... 13 members strong! 
Tau Chapter Pledges 1974



And then a Big Sister!!! (I never had one of those before!)  Traditionally, our big sisters gave us each a stuffed toy.  Mine was a SKUNK!?!?!?!
Big Sis, Donna "Blaine" with me & "Flower"
Sorority life got me more involved in campus activities! There were "informal" rush activities, like sing-alongs to find more members. 
Sing-along led by Angela Epperson
(playing guitar on the floor)
"I wish I were a little bar of soap..."

And there were dances. Like Zeta Goes West when Blaine set me up with one of our houseboys....
Me with Fred Sauerman '73
Or "Come as You Wish You Were." My date, the brother of a Zeta alum, was a friend from Progress School for handicapped kids where I volunteered each Wednesday.
With "Garbage Man," Jerry Cross
(He REALLY brought his GARBAGE!)
And the first dance I was truly excited to go to. Formal, April 26, 1975 with Randy. My good friend (and frequent roommate) Robyn went with Randy's brother, Judd. (I made my dress- at Randy's urging- and bought a HAT- at Randy's insistence! I HATE hats!)
Randy, Me, Robyn & Judd
Dances always provided good opportunities for "family" pictures! Here we had the Zeta Soda Shoppe with a 50's theme with Randy and my first little sis, Laura Phillips! 
Pledge Dance, Fall '75
Then came the Famous Couples dance with two little sisters, Tammie Albritton & Laura. Randy & I were engaged (for the first time) here, so how fitting to come as Frankenstein and his bride... (Does the dress look familiar?) 
Winter Dance-Famous Couples '76
At formal my Junior Year, I was awarded "Zeta of the Year" while our faculty sponsor, Dr. Weaver was awarded "Zeta Hero." 
Dr. Weaver & Me
Spring Formal '76
By Senior Year formal, I had added another little sister, Sharon Swan and I had two granddaughters! Robbin Campbell was Tammie's little sister and Robin Luthe was Laura's. 
Spring Formal '77
By the 1979 formal, where Randy and I "chaperoned," the family had grown remarkably!!! 
Missing Tammie!
It wasn't all about the dances. We had Christmas celebrations that included a visit from Santa and all "her" elves... wonder who was dopey enough to put on the Santa suit??? 
Elves: Robyn Wise, Becky Chamberlain, Tricia Heywood, Sue Milne
Sug Lyons, Louise Middendorf, Tawnie Moma & Donna Kingsley
Then there were competitions with other fraternities, sororities and campus housing for Homecoming each fall....
Sug & ? ready for Talent Night!
And Greek Week every spring! 


By graduation in May, 1977, not many of our pledge class (that had grown from 13 to 26 strong) were left, but it was a happy day for those of us who were still together!
Me, Robyn, Sug, Tawnie, Becky & Donna
May, 1977
But, as an active alum, living in Decatur, I didn't stray too far and returned to meet all the new members of the "family" in September of '77!
 
Little Sisters, Granddaughter & GREAT Granddaughters!

And, I had to support others the next year at their graduation!!!
Melissa Reichert, Tricia Heywood & Vickie O'Riley
(Tricia left the year before for Med Tech)
While the bulk of the Zeta memories are over a brief span of six years, the memories last a lifetime. It's not just the memories that last though; it's the connection, the camaraderie and the common beliefs that helped me realize last month that Zeta really is forever... in our hearts and in our minds....

Senior Year: 1976-77

 
Junior Year: 1975-76
(This one had some water damage!)
 
 
Sophomore Year: 1974-75 
 
 
 
Freshman Year: 1973-74  
 


For all the Zetas from Tau chapter in the mid '70s, this is for you. If you don't recognize the song right away, hang on for the chorus. I know you'll remember it too... and then you'll groan... and laugh! (Don't watch the video... I don't know those people. Wish I knew how to make a video of my own using all these pictures! Anyway, start the music, go back to the top of the post and scroll down as you listen and reminisce....)



Friends, I DO remember you, think of you
and pray for you!
Happy Founders' Day!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment