Thursday, May 1, 2014

EY #8: Tell About Your Mom (Revised)

Okay... I know it's been way too long since I've written a post... and here it is, the wonderful, crazy, dreaded month of May again! But, on this May Day, I feel a need to add a revision to the post I wrote one year ago today, thanks to the detective work of Josh & Brooks!

I'm pretty sure that I mentioned the fact that they gave me information about my mother's birth parents for Christmas. So, here I'd like to share a little bit of what we do know from their findings.


First of all, it's been verified that Mom was actually born May 1, 1921 rather than 1922. That was verified through Illinois vital records. Her sealed adoption record was opened and her original birth certificate was copied and authenticated:

Certified statement that this is a copy
of the birth record in Mary Ellen Hill's
sealed adoption files.

I know it's impossible to read here, but from the birth certificate, we know that she was born in Chicago at Cook County Hospital to Ted Voorhees (deceased) and Alice Gustafson. She was the second twin born and therefore the fifth of Alice's living children. We know that Alice was 27 years old and lived at 2753 Osgood Street in Chicago (with her parents), that she was born in Chicago and that she was a telegraph operator.

This is all exciting, but the plot thickens with the birth certificate proclamation that her father, Ted Voorhees is deceased. Josh and Brooks found a marriage record for a Ted Voorhees and Alice Gustafson on Nov. 21, 1914. He also appeared on 1920 census records as married, while Alice appears as a widow! There have been no death records or divorce records found for Ted or Alice yet...

1925 census records show Ted to be in New York with a new wife and a new daughter AND a new occupation! (Previously listed as a cost accountant, he's now a minister... which coincides with the story Mom was told...) A little research leads me to believe that he was a unique minister, with a particular desire to teach children about Jesus, the purpose of a book written by a Methodist minister: Ted V. Voorhees. Coincidence?


And, those who know of my love for psychology may find it of interest that Ted also studied psychology and often worked with the courts in cases involving children. At any rate, he seems to have been a unique man. I believe I found his obituary today; if this is the right Ted V Voorhees, he died December 1, 1968 near Jersey Shore, Pennsylvania.

So, am I any closer to finding the birth family my mom always wondered about? A bit. Have my questions been answered? Some... but now there are more questions than there were before. But, I can't help but feel that we're on the verge of finding answers and being able to put together the pieces. We may never have the whole story, but hopefully we'll have true pieces, rather than the the speculation we have now.

At any rate... it's May Day. Pick some flowers. Take them to a friend and leave them at the door. Ring the bell and run away. And say "Happy Birthday" to my mom!


No comments:

Post a Comment