Monday, February 11, 2013

WC #3: Happy Birthday Emily!

I have two beautiful daughters-in-law, but today I dedicate this post to Emily Crabtree Sloan because it is her HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!  Actually, if I remember correctly, Emily declares February as her birthday MONTH each year, but today is actually the anniversary of her birth 28 years ago!
Emily with Barton at his white coat ceremony.

It's rather cute how Bart & Emily got together.  Somehow I think the fact that he was dating her cousin, but trying to fix her up with Brandon meant that he really knew there was something special about her.  Fortunately, Brandon was looking elsewhere and didn't buy in to dating Emily.

Emily made a really good first impression on me, which was difficult, because I really liked Bart's high school girlfriend, but fortunately, I got to see her and gain my first impression BEFORE they started dating!  I was fortunate enough when the boys got home from their missions to be working as a photo district manager covering the whole state of Montana and eastern Idaho, including Rexburg (where all of my kids went to school) and Pocatello (where Brooks and her husband were living).  I say "fortunate" due to the fact that Walmart required me to visit each of my stores monthly AND gave me a 4-wheel-drive vehicle, bought my gas AND paid for my hotel stays and meals... and every time I went, I got to see my kids!  (And keep tabs on their love lives!)

So, the first time I remember seeing Emily was when I went to church with the boys on campus.  I use the term "church" loosely, because if you've ever been to BYU-Idaho, you know that the need for sacrament meeting rooms, Sunday School rooms, etc. is so large, they use classrooms on campus.  Anyway... I had been looking at all of the other girls, with their fancy hair, spike-heeled-shoes and painted faces and then I saw Emily, teaching the gospel doctrine class.  Anyway, the wonderful thing about Emily, that struck me the first time I saw her, was that she was REAL.  She had (and still has) a natural beauty.  She wears make-up, but doesn't need to; she's beautiful without it. She has an infectious smile and she's down-to-earth.  She was dressed PRACTICALLY that day I first saw her.  She was wearing a simple jumper; cute, but simple. And she was wearing FLATS!!!  I was so impressed! I had to wonder why Brandon didn't want to date her, but then again I wondered why Bart didn't date her instead of her cousin.  I thought I could like Emily a lot more... and I do.

Both of my boys have told me that in some ways their wives remind them of me; yet they are two VERY different young women.  I think what Bart sees in Emily of me is her love of children and working with them.  With a major in child development, you can't get much closer to my own degree in elementary education.  Her love of children shines through and her face glows when she's working or playing with them.  She's always there to help with nieces and nephews and almost two years ago gave me my 13th grandchild!  When Abigail was still "in the oven" and didn't have a name yet, I decided that I would call him/her "Baker;" my baker's dozen grandbaby.  Even though Abigail suits her and she's a beautiful little girl, she'll forever and always be MY Baker.
Emily & our newborn Baker!

Emily is a great mom.  Baker is learning by leaps and bounds and it's due to the loving care and time Emily devotes to her every day.  (Not to say Bart doesn't contribute, but let's face it; he's been in dental school preparing to care for his family and his time is quality, not quantity.)  One thing that I truly appreciate about Emily is the great pains that she takes to make sure that Baker knows who I am.  I've only had the opportunity to see her in person three times in her young life, yet when we get to Skype, she knows who I am.  Because her mommy cares enough to show her my picture and talk to her about me.  Emily can't possibly know how much that means to me. (Well, maybe she does now, if she's reading this!)

So, Emily became my fifth wonderful, beautiful daughter.  The last to join our family and make it complete.  She's a loving mother, wife, aunt, sister and daughter.  She's so supportive of Bart and everything he does, even though he has to spend a good deal of time away from her and Baker, she supports him, because she recognizes he's doing it all for them.  Not just in this life, but in the eternities that follow.

For who you are and all that you do for us, we love you Pretty Lady!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY EMILY!!!
Bart, Emily & "Baker" Easter 2012

4 comments:

  1. Mom, thank you so much! You just made my day, you are so sweet. I remember very well that day in Sunday School teaching the lesson while you were there. I also remember walking home from church behind you and the boys thinking that you must be one incredible women to have raised those young men. Thank you again, I love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Oops, forgot to proofread the comment. You are one incredible woman...haha, silly me :)

      Delete
  2. You're the best Mommy! I'm glad that everything I see in Emily is seen by you and others. You two are alike in a lot of ways and I'm glad for that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you going to talk about me on my birthday?

    ReplyDelete