Tuesday, May 7, 2013

LN: Tell about proud moments as a Grandmother, Part 11

I have a grandson that I wasn't really too sure about.  Oh, I loved him from the start. I just didn't know what to think about him.  He just wasn't "like" anyone else.  Not that that's bad.  I just had nothin'.  For all the children I've dealt with in my life, he was totally UNLIKE any other child I had ever met.  But, let's begin at the beginning, shall we?

Mason Edward Gailey was born May 7, 2009 in Las Vegas.  He's the third son born to my daughter Brooks and her husband, Josh.  He is named Mason a) because Brookie liked the name and b) for her best friend and college roommate, Jana "Mae."  He is named Edward for my maternal grandfather.  I arrived in Las Vegas on May 6th, prepared to care for his two big brothers when Brookie was scheduled for an induction on May 8th.  Even then Mason had a mind of his own. Decided he didn't want to be "forced" into coming and apparently didn't want to share his birthday with his Uncles Brandon and Barton.  So, Brooks woke me in the middle of the night to let me know her water had broken.  Here's Mason!



Baby Mason

Now is the perfect time for me to make a confession.  You see, I don't find babies to be particularly cute or beautiful. They always remind me of little birds or aliens and Mason was no exception. He had a rather large head and big lips with a wide mouth and he was long and skinny.  Fortunately, he's grown into himself over the past four years and he's definitely cute now!  And in the process of getting there, he had his cute moments...




Mason has never been a fan of structured meal times.  He's always hungry for a snack and he is perfectly willing to eat healthy snacks like fruit, granola bars, etc., but there's something about mealtime that totally disinterests him!



Of course, the way he feels about naps makes me tell Brookie, "Just let him sleep!"  After all, he can't be THAT uncomfortable, right?  I mean he's the one that fell asleep like that!  And when the boy is tired, life becomes a challenge for everyone around him!  What a grouch! Can you say "Oscar?"

As much as Mason dislikes mealtime, he does REALLY enjoy his sugar!


Mason likes CHOCOLATE!



And Mason likes CANDY!





And Mason likes SODA!



And, what happens when you have a two-year-old who doesn't like to take naps, eat regular meals and sneak sugar whenever he can?  Well, you get a little guy who falls asleep at the dinner table or on the floor while you're making dinner and then when bedtime rolls around, you get THIS!!!


Brooks can be quite creative when it comes to wearing 
out her children!

Brooks and the boys came to live with me for six weeks during the summer of 2011 while Josh was in basic training with the army after dental school.  What an adventure that was!  Having three little boys running around the house and entertaining me.  Of course, I'm not so sure whether it was THEM entertaining me or watching their mother cope with them; especially Mason!



We went to see Cars 2 in 3-D!

The glasses were a bit big for Mason!

So, like I said.  I wasn't too sure about Mason and those six weeks did nothing to help me out.  He was the kind of kid that purposely did things he knew he shouldn't just to see what you'd do about it and then acted all heart-broken and offended when he got in trouble.  And like I said, all the usual things I could suggest to Brooks didn't work!  We'd go out to eat and not only would he not eat; he made sure no one else got to enjoy their meals either; crawling under the table, spilling things, wanting whatever was on someone else's plate.... You get the picture!

Of all the things he did to get into trouble, the thing he did that bothered me the post was when he disrespected his mother.  Sorry.  I just don't take well to ANY kid that is disrespectful of adults and he could have won an Emmy in that department!  One day at dinner time, I'd just had enough. I finally came up with my own brand of "Tough Grandma Love."  I picked him up (kicking and screaming) and walked into my bedroom with him and sat down on the bed.  I didn't say a word.  I didn't spank him.  I just held him tightly on my lap so he couldn't get down while he kicked me and hit me and screamed "Let me goooooo!"  But I didn't.  And when he stopped for a second, I'd ask him if he was done. And he'd start again.  That first time, we were probably in my bedroom a good half hour.  As the summer wore on, the time grew shorter and sometimes I could even just say "Do we need to go on Grandma's bed?"  I doubt that he liked me very much by the end of his time with me.  I can't say how I honestly felt about him.  I've never really thought that I had a favorite grandchild, but I was beginning to guess who my least favorite was!

Mason doesn't like clothes!
But, this winter I went to visit the Gailey family when the lone, little sister was born.  And I learned something about Mason.  He's grown into his attitude.  Now mind you, he can still be QUITE contrary when others disagree with him, but he's much calmer.  And I think the difference is that now he can talk!  I think while he was going through his terrible tantrum times, it was because he didn't understand why he couldn't do some things because he was too little and he had to do other things because he was "big" now.  He had no real way to express himself and he didn't really understand what people were telling him.


I got to spend some time alone with Mason while Brooks was still in the hospital and the older boys were at school and you know what I found out?  I don't just love Mason.  I actually LIKE him now!!!  He's extremely intelligent and speaks more clearly than a lot of kindergartners I've known and has an exceptional vocabulary.  He's still as curious as he used to be and still causes his mother grief with his inventions that somehow always seem to revolve around using string, but now it's obvious that he's trying to create things or trying to understand how things work.  Oh! And he's goofy!
Hamming it up while I try
to get a picture of Sloan!

Now that I can finally see his personality, he's really a fun little boy and is developing a good sense of humor.  The problem with that though is that he KNOWS when he's doing something to make you laugh.  And it may not always be appropriate.  But he just looks at you with that grin and gleam in his eye.  But you know you can't encourage him....


And did I mention his fascination with string?  Drives Brookie nuts.  And I must admit; I don't get it.  But he wants to tie string to everything. Pencils.  Matchbox cars. Clothes. Knobs. You name it.  But of course he can't tie yet.   So, he's either bugging you to tie it, or if you refuse, he just wraps the string around 'til it gets all knotted up and you're worse off than if you'd just humored him to start with.  I sure don't know what he'll be when he grows up!  Is there such a thing as a professional string tier?  I think it's connected to his love of kites...

Mason flying a kite!


His fascination with string was only equaled by his fascination with kites.  And he doesn't get that it might be too cold to be fun to fly kites or that maybe there isn't enough wind to fly kites. 
You should always be able to fly kites! Right?




HAPPY BIRTHDAY, MASON!!!
I LOVE YOU!

No comments:

Post a Comment