Monday, July 15, 2013

LN # 6: Tell about proud moments as a grandmother; Part 10

Once upon a time, there was a grandma who was very excited to have one little, two little, three little grandkids and more for four little, five little, six little grandkids, and then seven little, eight little, nine little grandkids, but WOW TEN Little Grandkids now!!!


Grandma's Gang: 10 Strong & Growing!
August, 2008
Yep, 5 years ago on July 7, 2008 (Read yesterday's blog to find out why this didn't post on the 7th!) grandbaby #10, Krew Brandon Sloan was born! Krew was the first son born to my son Brandon and his wife Diedre in Boise, Idaho while they were living with her folks for the summer and Brandon was doing an internship with an optometrist.  Barely six weeks old when we had our second Sloan Christmas in the summer, Krew is the hunched over peanut in the number 10 at the end of his long line of cousins.

Krew with Mom & Dad
August, 2008

A typical oldest child, Krew is an adult in a little boy's body.  He's serious and very intelligent.  I was amazed when he was still two and Brandon called me to have Krew recite the 1st Article of Faith to me.  When Bran told me, I thought "yeah, right" and prepared myself to hear some baby-talk gibberish with a few religious words in the middle.  Imagine my surprise when I heard, clear as a bell "Article of Faith 1: We believe in God, the Eternal Father, and in His Son, Jesus Christ, and in the Holy Ghost." I was amazed and proud, not only of Krew, but of his mom and dad for teaching their young son such an important concept at such a young age!

Like most little boys today, Krew has a fascination and natural ability with all things electronic and manipulates his parent's iPad and iPhones with ease. He's also good at "helping" his little brothers when it's their turn to play with them.  (In case you missed it, there may have been a little sarcasm there since the "help" usually turns into "let me show you how" and Mom ends up taking the device away to stop the fighting and tears.)  He is very good with computers and electronics though and I suspect it won't be too many years before he's teaching Mom & Dad a few things!

He can tear himself away from the electronic entertainment long enough to dress up as his favorite super heroes, the Avengers!  The All-American Hero:

Captain America
Or the big, scary green guy:
The Incredible Hulk

Or maybe take the time for a marshmallow slingshot war with his brothers!



He's being broken in as a singer in the family having already performed church and baptism duets with his dad. I was honored when I was the only one he'd let listen to him practice with his dad! Way to make Mom and Grandma cry...

I found out this spring that he likes to tell jokes.  He just didn't quite understand the concept that jokes are supposed to be funny and make people laugh.  Hopefully Mom or Dad have been able to read the joke books I bought to him so the next time I see him, maybe he'll make me laugh for real....

Finally, Krew may not have been born one of my biggest grandbabies, but he has one of the biggest hearts!  He's a loving big brother... most of the time....


He's a big helper for his mom. She counts on him a lot and I know she's going to miss him a lot when he heads to Kindergarten for the first time this fall. But he'll pave the way for his little brothers and come home and share stories of his day with them all, cause that's what big brothers and Mom's helpers do!


Happy (Belated) Birthday, Krew!  I hope your day was FABULOUS! I love you and am so very proud of you.







3 comments:

  1. Perfect summary of a wonderful kid. He is the one that refuses to eat until we have said a prayer. Once Diedre, me, gray and Bennett were almost done eating and Krew hadn't taken a single bite and us thinking he was just not hungry started cleaning up and he said, "daddy can we please say a prayer so that I can start eating!!!?" I was in shock and knew there was something special between him and his Heavenly Father since. Love you mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's fabulous. I bet you and Diedre had a lot of mixed emotions with that one! Would have been a mixture of pride vs. embarrassment if it were me... He's a good one, that's for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krew is so cute!!!!!! Jonas can't wait to see him next time we have a family reunion!!!!

    ReplyDelete