Thursday, September 27, 2018

EY #34: Tell about your first kiss

My first kiss. For some reason, Brooks seems a little obsessed with this one. I'm not sure she believes I was the boring nerd that I was; probably because I was such a cool mom with some crazy college/sorority stories. Any of my high school or college friends who may read this, feel free to confirm my nerdiness...

That said, I will go on to say, I made it all the way through high school with no kisses other than a good night or goodbye for my dad or a brother. I thought I had a boyfriend my Junior year of high school. Ed was a guy I had fun with at the lake or when I went to visit my oldest brother, exchanged gifts with and exchanged letters with on a regular basis. I won't deny, as a teenager with a crush, I thought about kissing him; probably a lot. But before my fantasy could become a reality, he decided it would be fun to make out with my best friend, breaking my heart and betraying HIS best friend in the process. I never blamed her. I knew how cute Ed was and how persuasive he could be. I was appalled, however, that knowing his best friend had a crush on her for years, that he could do that to his friend. Obviously, no kiss there.

So when was my first kiss? Sadly, there's not too much I can say about it. I was in Cornucopia with Lanie. We were driving back to the cabins late one evening and we passed a couple of guys walking alongside the road and offered them a ride. Since I was driving, I don't recall conversations in the car on the way, but after parking in our driveway, the guy sitting on the bench seat of my Olds 98 next to me thanked me and kissed me. While I don't recall the kiss as unpleasant, there may have even been more than one, I know it wasn't knock my socks off wonderful either. As unremarkable as it was, that was my first kiss.

Now, let's go on to my first memorable, meaningful kiss, because there were a few others after that kiss in my 1970 Olsmobile. The first one that really counts in my book, was during my Sophomore year of college at our Zeta spring formal. I had been going out with Randy for about four months at this point, but the spring formal was our first real, formal date. After dinner, Randy and I were dancing and the DJ put on a slow song; Olivia Newton-John's "I Honestly Love You."  I know it's very cliche' these days, but back then it was a new, popular song. As we danced and listened to the song, as she sang the words "If we both were born in another place and time," Randy looked at me and said, "This is our song. If we both were born in another place and time, we never would have met and we wouldn't be here now."  And he kissed me. Three times. Not short. Not long. Not sloppy. Just right. Sweet. Romantic. Loving. Not  personality traits Randy typically exhibited, but in that moment, enough to confirm for me that he was indeed the young man I would marry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac24COCKTVM

Zeta Spring Formal 1975
Randy, Me, Robyn Wise, Randy's brother Judd

No comments:

Post a Comment