Friday, September 28, 2018

LN #9: Tell about your hobbies

Another blog at Brooks' request. I keep telling her I'm not a "hobby" type of person. I read. A lot. Historical fiction, Fantasy, Young Adult, Romance, Mystery. I enjoy it all, but it's not too entertaining to write about reading.

I enjoy writing. I won several awards in Jr. High and High School for essays and short stories I wrote. I love putting myself in the moment of the stories and being able to take others into my mind's eye to picture what I'm seeing or to feel what I'm feeling. I'm frequently told I should write a book and I'd love to, but whenever I actually consider it,I freeze. No thoughts ideas or inspiration. I keep hoping that one night I'll have a dream like Stephenie Meyer did and my book will come to life...

I had a real hobby once upon a time. Remember Love Beads? Yeah.  I strung love beads, but I went beyond that. I had a loom of sorts, made of a 2x4, nails, thread and, of course, beads. Using graph paper, I would create designs and then weave the patterns with my beads to create native american style jewelry or spirit necklaces of red and black for my high school.

I used to do embroidery and sew as well. Through my teens, I made a lot of my clothes and continued to sew for Megan when she was small, but as the family grew and time evaporated, sewing went way back on the burner. I'd like to take up embroidery again. Not what people do now with sewing machines, but the pillowcases and dresser scarves embroidered by hand; thimbles, embroidery floss, patterns, pin pricks and all!

Some people consider travel a hobby. While I truly enjoy travel, for me, it's more of a bucket list. There are places I want to go: the remaining 6 states in the Northeast to make all 50 states; Boston for the 4th of July; cruise to Australia/ New Zealand; and Ireland, just because. I'd like to go other places as well, but those are the top of my list.

My final real interest, something I want to dive into and succeed with is Family History. We've been able to gather some information based on information, documents and contributions of others. We have very basic pedigrees for Hansings and Haags, a greater volume of information about Staffeldts, but next to nothing on the Zielkes and Hills. And then we have the information about Alice Gustafsen & Ted Voorhees, his mysterious second family and the TRUE story about how my mother ended up in an orphanage. Perhaps that's a novel waiting to be written, but I have to put the piecces of the puzzle together first...

As I'm at an age to truly contemplate retirement, maybe I'll begin to take a more genuine interest in some of these things, because, to me, a hobby is fueled by passion with a deep desire for accomplishment. I know myself well enough to know that forcing myself to do any of them will make them a drudgery instead, so only time will tell, but if you get to read my first great novel or receive an embroidered pillowcase, you'll know where my passion has taken me!

No comments:

Post a Comment