Sunday, November 10, 2013

Tell about Proud Moments as a Grandmother; Part 5

Before I begin today's primary post, I must note that today is another one of those family days that involves more than one happy event!  That said, Brandon & Diedre... Happy Anniversary! Seven years ago today Diedre accepted our crazy family as her own when she married Brandon in the Boise, Idaho temple. Congratulations!
Brandon & Diedre Sloan
Today is also the 32nd anniversary of the day I was sealed to my parents (after doing their work and having them sealed) for eternity in the Salt Lake City Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints! What a blessing to know that although I didn't have them long in this life, I can be with them through the eternities.
Ray & Mary Ellen Zielke
Then, as I logged onto my blog and looked at my last entry, I realized I failed to write "Part 15" of my proud moments as a grandmother for Bennett's birthday last Sunday! I remembered his gift. I remembered to call him. But totally SPACED writing a blog just for him! I'm so sorry Bennett! I'll make it up this week!

But now... on to the title of this post! It's time to wish grandbaby #5 a VERY HAPPY 9th Birthday!!! 
Sarai & I at her baptism
May, 2013
Sarai Akua Aboagye, born November 10, 2004, is the only one of my grandchildren to have actually been born in the town where I lived. At the time I was living in Butte, Montana. Her parents & Cari had been living with me until a few months before Rai was born and they moved into a little house about a block away. I was SO excited to have one of my grandbabies born so close, but Sarai and I didn't hit it off too well in the beginning!

NaNa & the First Five!
3 Seven-Year Olds &
2 Eight-Year-Olds!
Black Friday Shopping 2011
Meg & Samuel both had jobs at the time that frequently required them to work third shift and I would watch the girls for them. It would have been no problem except sweet, even-tempered Sarai REFUSED to sleep in the crib at NaNa's at night!  I learned fairly quickly that the only way she WOULD sleep for me was in her car seat on the sofa in the living room with a light on! I'm a fan of letting children sleep when and where they will...so that's where she slept every night when she was with me! In fact, she frequently slept well for me in unusual positions in unusual places!

Not a very flattering shot,
but it proves my point!
Sarai asleep on her Nana in Lanie & Norm's
living room; March, 2005.
Sarai was only a couple months old when her parents decided to leave Montana to go to Kentucky with hopes of more career opportunities there. From early on, Sarai was always the one who was able to make people laugh and the more she found she could make them laugh, the more she tried! Maybe that's why she has such a special relationship with her Uncle Bart!

Rai & Uncle Bart
August, 2008
Sarai is a beautiful girl who has always had a love and flair for fashion! Meg says she looks a lot like Samuel's mother. Hopefully, when she's a little older, Sarai will have an opportunity to visit Ghana and meet her.

Sarai & baby cousin, Abigail
Sarai has a bit of a flair for story-telling. She's occasionally come up with some whoppers that have gotten her in a little bit of trouble, but that's gotten better since she's gotten a little older! Thank goodness!

Sarai & Uncle Bart
at her baptism.
Sarai is a loving sister. I think she finds it hard being in the middle sometimes. She's had to find her way with Cari being the strong-willed, responsible older sister and Jonas being the cute little brother. But she always finds ways to entertain, irritate and motivate her siblings into action. There's never a dull moment for them when she's around!

Jonas, Cari & Sarai
Summer, 2013
The important thing is that she IS finding her own way! She's received citizenship awards at school....
Sarai showing off one of her
school citizenship awards.

And recently earned a spot on the Northern Kentucky Clippers, a nationally ranked swim team! Go Rai!
Sarai sporting her medal
at a swim meet
Summer, 2013
Sarai is definitely finding her niche and I couldn't be happier for her or more proud of her, but in honor of her ability to drive big sister Cari nuts, I've chosen to add a clip from Disney Channel's Teen Beach Movie here! (Cari says she's had to watch it "a million times" because Sarai & Jonas love it so much, they keep watching it...) Somehow, this seems like it would be one of Rai's favorite songs, since she gets along so well with boys!




Happy Birthday, Sarai!
I love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment