Friday, December 20, 2013

Let's talk Caroling...

Two nights ago, I heard a LOUD banging on my door. Since it's extremely rare for me to get any visitors at my apartment in Seattle and the only people I would truly consider friends here had all left town, I was a bit hesitant to open the door. I peeked through the peephole and saw a bunch of strangers, male & female of various ages, but not a one of whom I recognized.

My daughter-in-law Emily & granddaughter Abigail were here with me. Emily asked me who was at the door and I said that I didn't know, but I wasn't opening the door. And then the singing began. And then I felt guilty. But I still wasn't going to open the door.

I mean is there any part of caroling that ISN'T AWKWARD? If you're in the house and a bunch of carolers appear at your door, what are you supposed to do? We're beyond the time in history where you open the door and invite these strangers into your home to warm up with a cup of hot chocolate! So you stand there and try to look cordial, wondering what they're expecting of you. 

If you're one of the carolers, you're standing out in the cold, singing off key with a bunch of other people who are singing off key, feeling bad for the poor schmuck who's standing in his/her doorway wondering what to do with you as the heat from inside their cozy home rushes out the door!

I don't mean to sound the Grinch here. I recognize that there are times and places that caroling is totally appropriate and appreciated. Like when we would take a group of primary children from church to carol at the local nursing home. It was totally rewarding to see the looks of love, joy and appreciation on the faces of the residents.

And I remember the Christmas forty-three years ago when a group of my friends appeared at my house and entered my bed-ridden mother's bedroom singing carols. And I remember the tears in her eyes as she joined them singing "Silent Night," recognizing in my mind, if not my heart, that it would be her last Christmas with us. Those friends will always hold a special place in my heart for that memory alone.

Equally memorable, less heart-wrenching, but even more traumatic was the Christmas season of 1981 or '82 when the youth group from church came caroling to our apartment. 2 (or 3)- year-old fascinated Megan ran to the door to see the people who were singing at our door! She loved it! And then they began singing "We Wish You a Merry Christmas," and she still liked it. She began to worry, however, as they began to sing "Oh bring us a figgy pudding..." and she turned to look up at me with a troubled expression. Finally when they began to sing "We won't go until we get some...," my poor, little daughter began to panic and cry! She was truly concerned about what we were going to do with all these people who weren't going to go 'til they got a figgy pudding when she knew we didn't have any! She still remembers that moment and probably still doesn't have much love for carolers or that particular song either!

Meg: Christmas Morning 1981
2 years old
Christmas Caroling. An age old tradition. We've all done it. We've all been caroled to. It's a tradition that I think should continue on through the ages. As long as I don't have to be a part of it.....



No comments:

Post a Comment