Tuesday, December 24, 2013

ML #2: Tell about your Honeymoon with Bonus: Happy Birthday Miem!

Emily (Staffeldt) Zielke Hanson
Before I dive into the tale of my honeymoon, I want to acknowledge the birthday of the most wonderful aunt in the world. Born Emilie (German pronunciation Amelia) Staffeldt, it was Americanized to become Emily. My older brother Al was unable to say "Aunt Emily" when he was little and it sounded more like MeMe. MiMi or Miem became our own family name for her, which worked out well since both my Uncle Henry and Uncle George married women named Emily!

Miem & Mom at Grandma Zielke's house
Miem and my mom were good friends as well as sisters-in-law. Many mornings as a child I remember stopping with my mother at Buchner's Bakery and going on to Miem's house for a visit. They'd visit over cream horns and coffee while I played with puzzles. Since Miem didn't drive, Mom was her taxi driver when she needed it. And when my mom got sick, it was Miem who was by her side, taking care of her and our house while my dad was at work and I was at school.

Miem used to give me my haircuts and when I was in fifth grade she taught me how to sew and helped me make my first two dresses. She taught me how to clean through example and, somehow, drying dishes by her side never seemed like a chore. It was a bonding time; a time to talk and to learn unconditional love.

I always remembered her special birthday on Christmas Eve and made sure to call her, no matter where I was, no matter what I was doing....even on my honeymoon!

Which brings me to the week following my wedding, spent on Kiawah Island, South Carolina!
View from the door to our room.
Kiawah Island Resort
Since Randy was still recovering from the effects of his bachelor party two nights before, we awoke late on the 24th and missed our flight from Chicago to South Carolina. I had no idea where we were going, and when I learned we were going to South Carolina I was a bit skeptical, but it turned out to be a gorgeous spot for a honeymoon.

We arrived the evening of the 24th, just in time to see carolers walking around the resort from our balcony. The next morning I was thrilled to step out on the balcony and see the ocean waves rushing up on the shore. We enjoyed several walks along the beach that week; Randy knew how much I loved just being near the ocean.

Gathering seashells on the beach in December!
Randy misunderstood the travel agent and thought that all our meals were included in our travel package. Turns out it was ONE meal and our budget wasn't really great enough to cover all our meals. Needless to say we ate cheaply whenever we could and I found out that I really did like clam chowder! Our included meal was quite interesting... it was at the fanciest restaurant at the resort. I felt like I needed to choose a meal fitting for the area and ordered a fish dinner. I was NOT prepared when they served me a WHOLE  fish on my plate... head and all!!! Randy was quite amused and thoroughly enjoyed his steak.

We took an island safari and saw wild horses, visited the supposedly haunted Vorhees mansion (which was especially interesting for me since my mother's birth name was Vorhees) and took a tour of historic Charleston.

Randy & I on our island safari.
All too soon it was time to return home. We caught our flight out of Charleston on New Year's Eve day and made it to Atlanta for our layover. Atlanta was having a freak snowstorm and all flights were grounded. The airline put us up in a hotel that night and provided $20/person for dinner which would have been great, except for the fact that it WAS New Year's Eve and the only restaurant open in the hotel was the one hosting the party and it was $35/person for dinner there! (Remember the budget issue???) It was not a FUN New Year's Eve, but it WAS memorable...

The following morning, we were able to get a flight to St. Louis instead of Chicago, but it at least got us within three hours of Decatur where we thought we could catch a commuter flight to get home. No such chance though, since from St. Louis north, there was a severe winter storm with sleet. Since I was supposed to teach school the next day, I called my school principal and let her know the situation. As a first year teacher, she didn't take too well to my predicament and she told me that if I valued my position I would find a way to be there at 8:00 AM sharp the next morning.

Exhausting all possibilities, Randy finally found us two bus tickets on a Greyhound bus from St. Louis to Decatur! We called my new father-in-law, let him know of the situation and asked him to pick us up at the bus depot. Unfortunately, due to the weather, the 2-1/2 hour bus ride turned into about five hours and we pulled in about 2:00 AM! We were exhausted, but I was relieved to be home to be able to go to work in the morning. Pop took us to his house, we collapsed in Amy's bed and fell fast asleep for the little time I had to sleep before school.

"Mom" knocked on the bedroom door at 6:30 the next morning, poked her head in and said "Carol--Decatur public schools are all closed this morning because of the ice storm..."




No comments:

Post a Comment